Cedar Valley News
News stories of Cedar Valley interest published by area media outlets.
- City extends deadline for footing drain disconnects 27 Aug 2016, 9:00 am
WATERLOO — Homeowners facing a deadline to disconnect foundation drains from the city’s sewer will be given more time.
- Walk will help fight childhood cancer 27 Aug 2016, 7:00 am
Childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in U.S. children younger than 15. Among current patients, two-thirds will have long-lasting chronic conditions related to their treatment.
- Iowa on track to save $22 million in Medicaid spending 27 Aug 2016, 6:45 am
CEDAR RAPIDS -- In the first three months of Iowa’s Medicaid managed-care program, all three managed-care organizations resolved beneficiaries’ grievances within 30 days of receipt. But one MCO received far more complaints during that time than t. […]
- Good morning -- things to do today 27 Aug 2016, 6:28 am
Good morning, Cedar Valley! It's Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016.
- Judge calls for tuition-free community college, federal grant expansion 26 Aug 2016, 10:15 pm
ANKENY -- Patty Judge wants the federal government to help college graduates manage their student loan debt, and she wants the country’s top money-makers to help pay for the programs.
- Community Foundation of NE Iowa offers women grants 26 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
CEDAR FALLS -- Grant applications can now be submitted to the Community Foundation of Northeast Iowa for the Women’s Fund Grant.
- UPDATE: Courier sports writer Jim Sullivan passes away 26 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
WATERLOO -- Courier Assistant Sports Editor Jim Sullivan, a renowned and respected journalist who covered Northeast Iowa athletics for more than 30 years, died of an apparent heart attack at work early Friday.
- Waverly psychiatrist to hold Waterloo church program 26 Aug 2016, 6:00 pm
WATERLOO — NAMI will offer an “Ask the Psychiatrist” program on Sept. 1.
- Region Briefs 26 Aug 2016, 12:00 pm
Art event slated in Independence
- Cedar Valley campaign for grade-level reading awarded $500,000 26 Aug 2016, 11:00 am
CEDAR FALLS – The Cedar Valley Campaign for Grade-Level Reading recently was awarded more than $500,000 to continue the work of its campaign.
- One dead in Waterloo rollover crash near Crossroads 26 Aug 2016, 8:45 am
WATERLOO -- One person is dead following a rollover crash on U.S. Highway 218 in Waterloo this morning.
- Independence council seat up for grabs 26 Aug 2016, 8:00 am
INDEPENDENCE — Voters head to the polls here Tuesday for a special election to fill a City Council seat.
- Black Hawk County Landfill fees are going up 26 Aug 2016, 7:00 am
WATERLOO — Black Hawk County Landfill fees will increase for the third straight year.
- Clean-up underway as floodwaters start receding 26 Aug 2016, 1:30 am
SPILLVILLE — It was clean-up time Thursday as the water began receding in Northeast Iowa towns hit by flash flooding.
- Black Hawk County property tax bills sent out 25 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
WATERLOO — Property tax bills have been sent out by the Black Hawk County Treasurer’s Office.
- Vernone speaks on job training 25 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – With students returning to K-12 schools and college campuses, Iowa 1st District House challenger Monica Vernon stressed the importance of investing in workforce development and job training Thursday while touring a labor union appren. […]
- Franklin County supervisors approve plan for chicken confinements 25 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm
HAMPTON — The Franklin County Board of Supervisors on Monday unanimously approved a construction plan for a Dows-based farm to build dual 45,000-capacity chicken confinement buildings.
- Board rejects motion to temporarily halt pipeline project 25 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm
DES MOINES — The state utilities board has denied landowners’ request to delay construction of a crude oil pipeline through Iowa.
- Medicare seminars offered at Covenant 25 Aug 2016, 6:00 pm
WATERLOO -- RSVP and Covenant Medical Center are offering “Welcome to Medicare” seminars on the first Wednesday of every month from 5 to 6 p.m. at Covenant Medical Center, 3421 W. Ninth St.
- Local artists take stage at Waterloo North End festival 25 Aug 2016, 5:00 pm
WATERLOO — Local artists will take center stage at this weekend’s North End Arts and Music Festival.
- Two apply for shared county/city IT positions 25 Aug 2016, 2:00 pm
DECORAH — Alternatives for filling the county and city’s shared information technology director could be explored if a satisfactory candidate can’t be found.
- UPDATE: One dead, one hurt in crash south of Parkersburg 25 Aug 2016, 1:45 pm
PARKERSBURG -- One person was killed and another injured in a car-semitrailer accident in Grundy County south of Parkersburg shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, authorities said.
- Chickasaw County flood victim identified 25 Aug 2016, 12:30 pm
LAWLER - Authorities have identified a man who perished in flooding Wednesday morning in Chickasaw County.
- Waverly church scrap metal benefit Saturday 25 Aug 2016, 11:00 am
WAVERLY — A scrap metal drive in Waverly on Saturday will benefit Peace United Church of Christ.
- Cedar Falls vets launch clover drive Friday, Saturday 25 Aug 2016, 10:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — The Cedar Falls AMVETS Post 49 will host the annual White Clover drive.
- Fayette man charged, hospitalized after wreck 25 Aug 2016, 9:46 am
FAYETTE --- A Fayette man was injured and charged with drunken driving following a crash Sunday night.
- Black Hawk County receives fed food, shelter grant 25 Aug 2016, 8:00 am
WATERLOO -- Black Hawk County has been awarded federal funds through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency under the Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program.
- Good morning -- here's what's going on today 25 Aug 2016, 4:00 am
Good morning, Cedar Valley! It's Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016.
- Kwik Star eyes Ansborough/U.S. 20 store 25 Aug 2016, 3:30 am
WATERLOO -- A $2 million Kwik Star convenience store is planning to open near U.S. Highway 20's Ansborough Avenue interchange.
- Hydrant flushing set for Thursday 24 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
WATERLOO — The Waterloo Water Works will flush hydrants Thursday in the area from West San Marnan Drive to West Fourth Street between Prospect Boulevard and Kimball Avenue.
- UPDATE: One dead, many evacuated in NE Iowa flooding 24 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm
LAWLER — A man who died in flash flooding near here early Wednesday had placed a 911 emergency call to authorities after floodwater swept his car off the road, Chickasaw County authorities said.
- Imaginarium set to host Lego club 24 Aug 2016, 6:00 pm
WATERLOO — The Bluedorn Science Imaginarium, 322 Washington St., will host a Lego Discovery Club from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. the first Saturday of every month.
- Flag-raising marks Post 138 anniversary 24 Aug 2016, 5:15 pm
WATERLOO — It was mission accomplished for Becker-Chapman American Legion Post 138.
- Waterloo man wins $100,000 24 Aug 2016, 4:00 pm
WATERLOO — John Cole of Waterloo claimed the fifth of eight top prizes of $100,000 available in the Iowa Lottery’s “Easy Money” scratch game.
- Blum leads Vernon 50-43 percent in 1st District poll 24 Aug 2016, 2:45 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – Although he’s considered the most vulnerable Republican in the U.S. House, a new poll finds Republican Rep. Rod Blum leading his Democratic challenger Monica Vernon.
- City pauses surveillance camera plan 24 Aug 2016, 10:45 am
WATERLOO — The Waterloo Police Department’s plans to require security cameras in more businesses have been put on hold.
- Audubon housing addition narrowly approved 24 Aug 2016, 10:00 am
WATERLOO — The city’s efforts to encourage new home construction experienced growing pains this week.
- Waterloo Hy-Vee employee surprised with award 23 Aug 2016, 7:30 pm
WATERLOO — Katie Callahan, pharmacy manager at the Ansborough Avenue Hy-Vee, has been named a recipient of the company’s highest honor, its Legendary Customer Service Award.
- Iowa families face skyrocketing EpiPen cost 23 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS -- When Sean Neilly went to pick up his 5-year-old son’s EpiPen at the pharmacy a few weeks ago, he experienced sticker shock.
- Decorah Council tables deer management plan 23 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm
DECORAH — Following a lengthy discussion, the Decorah City Council has voted 5-2 to table a deer management policy.
- UPDATE: Waterloo-Cedar Falls unemployment up 23 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm
WATERLOO — To probably no one’s surprise, unemployment is up in the Cedar Valley.
- Feds force closure of Waterloo yard waste site 23 Aug 2016, 6:00 am
WATERLOO — Federal flood levee requirements are forcing the city to shut down its free yard waste dump.
- Pence calls Trump a ‘doer’ in a game of talkers 22 Aug 2016, 10:15 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – Larry Riley was a Walter Mondale delegate to the Iowa Democratic Party state convention back in 1984. Monday he was cheering Donald Trump.
- Judge denies pipeline stay; landowners seek IUB emergency halt 22 Aug 2016, 10:15 pm
DES MOINES – Iowa landowners opposed to an underground oil pipeline being built in Iowa filed emergency action Monday asking state regulators to temporarily halt construction after a district judge refused to grant their request for a stay order.
- Firehouse Subs opens in Cedar Falls 22 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm
CEDAR FALLS — Firehouse Subs opened its first restaurant in the area last week at 6406 University Ave.
- Winneshiek Co., Luther contributions clear way for fire truck purchase 22 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm
DECORAH — The city of Decorah, with contributions from Winneshiek County and Luther College, will purchase a used ladder truck from the city of Indianola.
- Branstad: "Significant" saving from Iowa's privately managed Medicaid 22 Aug 2016, 6:30 pm
DES MOINES — Gov. Terry Branstad on Monday defended the state’s switch to privately managed care for Iowa’s Medicaid recipients, saying the new system is saving “significant” money by rooting out fraud and abuse that previously was going un. […]
- Iowa’s prison population stable 22 Aug 2016, 11:00 am
DES MOINES — State prisons saw about the same number of offenders admitted in fiscal 2016 as were released.
- UPDATE: Deere to lay off 115 in Waterloo, 30 in Quad Cities 22 Aug 2016, 10:11 am
WATERLOO — Disappointing, but not unexpected.
- State educators tackle chronic student absenteeism 22 Aug 2016, 6:00 am
DES MOINES — For students, especially young ones, missing too much school increases the likelihood of dropping out down the road, studies suggest.
- Starting point: UNI’s incubator lets young companies develop 22 Aug 2016, 3:30 am
CEDAR FALLS — Last spring saw more than the usual “graduations” at the University of Northern Iowa.
- Black Hawk County health head urges mosquito caution 21 Aug 2016, 2:00 pm
WATERLOO — The Black Hawk County Health Department is reminding residents to protect themselves from mosquito bites after confirmed cases of the West Nile virus in western Iowa.
- Brewing up a plan 21 Aug 2016, 12:30 pm
WATERLOO — Sean Christensen wasn’t a beer fan until his music career took him to Germany’s taprooms.
- In-store security camera ordinance set for approval 21 Aug 2016, 11:00 am
WATERLOO — A plan to require better security camera coverage in local businesses is up for approval.
- Revived Waterloo horse carriage firm harnessing growth 21 Aug 2016, 6:30 am
WATERLOO — A Minnesota couple is breathing new life into a 118-year-old horse carriage company in the Cedar Valley.
- Vilsack stumps for Judge’s Senate campaign 20 Aug 2016, 7:45 pm
DES MOINES --- Tom Vilsack gave two examples of why Patty Judge can defeat longtime incumbent Chuck Grassley in Iowa’s U.S. Senate race this year: the biblical figure David and himself.
- Pence campaigns at Iowa State Fair 20 Aug 2016, 6:30 pm
DES MOINES — GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence spent Saturday getting a taste of Americana — and a hot beef sundae topped with a cherry tomato — during a stroll through the Iowa State Fair.
- Do it once, do it right mantra serves Magee's Deb Waterman well 20 Aug 2016, 9:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — It never really occurred to Deb Waterman that it was all that unusual for a woman to be in the male-dominated field of construction and design.
- Deere earnings down again, with some bright spots 19 Aug 2016, 9:15 am
MOLINE, Ill. — Deere & Co. showed a decline in earnings for the 10th consecutive quarter over the previous year, yet operating profit in the ag and turf division improved and the company ratcheted up its year-end earnings projections.
- Ginger’s owners moving into Beck’s Hill location 18 Aug 2016, 3:30 am
CEDAR FALLS — A longtime bar and restaurant operator said he’s making way for the owners of a fire-damaged establishment to take over his restaurant on College Hill.