Cedar Valley News
News stories of Cedar Valley interest published by area media outlets.
- Capitol Digest: Iowa gas prices up 9 Dec 2016, 3:00 am
DES MOINES — Natural gas prices spiked 68 this week, according to officials with the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, closing at $3.71/MMbtu. Other heating fuels also increased but by smaller increments. Motor fuels also are goi. […]
- Greetings on Main lights up Waverly 9 Dec 2016, 3:00 am
WAVERLY — Temperatures Thursday night dipped low enough that even a guy who calls the North Pole home took notice.
- Tax relief high Iowa GOP priority 9 Dec 2016, 2:15 am
DES MOINES — A key Senate Republican said Thursday he expects the new GOP legislative majority will push a major reform to simplify and reduce state income taxes during the 2017 legislative session.
- Hy-Vee Waterloo florists decorate Iowa governor's mansion 9 Dec 2016, 2:00 am
WATERLOO — Fran Newsom arrived at Terrace Hill carrying her bright orchid-purple tool box filled with florist’s wire, wire cutters, hot glue gun and other supplies she might need.
- Sheetz picked for Cedar Falls community development post 9 Dec 2016, 1:15 am
CEDAR FALLS — Interim Cedar Falls Community Development Director Stephanie Houk Sheetz will soon no longer have the world “interim” in front of her name, pending approval by the City Council.
- Ernst calls Obama ISIS statements ‘premature’ 9 Dec 2016, 1:15 am
CEDAR RAPIDS – President Barack Obama is premature in declaring victory over ISIS, according to Sen. Joni Ernst, a former Iowa Army National Guard member who served in the Iraq war.
- Special church events 9 Dec 2016, 12:30 am
WATERLOO — The Sanctuary Choir of First Baptist Church, Fourth and Baltimore, will present the annual Christmas Cantata at 10:15 a.m. Sunday, followed by holiday treats and munchies.
- Reynolds: I am excited 9 Dec 2016, 12:15 am
DES MOINES — In her first public remarks since news broke she will become Iowa’s next Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds, left, in a November 2014 photo. governor, Kim Reynolds said she is excited for the…
- This Week in the Cedar Valley 9 Dec 2016, 12:15 am
Wartburg-Waverly Festival of Trees
- Community Briefs 9 Dec 2016, 12:00 am
Hearst Center to host reception
- Trump thanks Iowa for election victory 8 Dec 2016, 10:00 pm
DES MOINES — President-elect Donald Trump thanked cheering Iowans on Thursday for helping him win the 2016 presidential election.
- Health groups back Iowa sales tax for natural resources 8 Dec 2016, 4:30 pm
DES MOINES — A coalition of organizations supporting a state sales tax increase for water quality and natural resources programs has added health advocates to its growing list of supporters.
- One dead in Allamakee County crash 8 Dec 2016, 3:45 pm
WAUKON – A LeClaire man died in a Wednesday night crash near Waukon.
- Fatal fire under investigation in Oelwein 8 Dec 2016, 1:00 pm
OELWEIN – Authorities are investigating an early morning motor home fire where the body of a woman was discovered.
- Ernst to quiz Trump EPA nominee 8 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS — Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst plans to pursue a “rigorous line of questioning” with President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Cedar Falls, unions start contract talks 8 Dec 2016, 3:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — Unionized city police, parks and public works employees are proposing a 5 percent pay increase and no changes in health insurance in their initial collective bargaining proposals to the city.
- Cedar Falls approves plans for gym in Industrial Park 8 Dec 2016, 3:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — The City Council on Monday night approved a site plan for a 45,000-square-foot building to be constructed on West Viking Road to hold a large gymnasium and commercial offices. It is being built near Cedar Falls Utilities’…
- Figure skating club brings 3 holidays together with 'Charlie Brown' theme 8 Dec 2016, 3:00 am
WATERLOO — When Abby Loeffelholz decided on a Charlie Brown “Holiday Spectacular” theme for her skating club’s annual performance, she didn’t only mean the holiday in December. She meant the ones in November and October, too.
- Metro Briefs 8 Dec 2016, 1:00 am
High schools get
- Region Briefs 8 Dec 2016, 1:00 am
New IT director
- Community Briefs 8 Dec 2016, 12:15 am
Church to host holiday concert
- UPDATE: Man stricken at Grout Museum dies 7 Dec 2016, 7:30 pm
WATERLOO – A man who collapsed during a Pearl Harbor remembrance event at the Grout Museum/Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum on Wednesday later died at a hospital, museum officials said.
- Pearl Harbor/WWII vets honored at Grout 7 Dec 2016, 5:00 pm
WATERLOO —- David Greene was squirrel hunting at Camp Ingawanis near Janesville on Dec. 7, 1941.
- Branstad's move to China means Iowa's first female governor 7 Dec 2016, 5:00 pm
DES MOINES — Soon, Iowa will almost certainly have its first female governor.
- Two finalists chosen for Cedar Falls fire chief 7 Dec 2016, 4:00 pm
CEDAR FALLS — Two finalists for the position of Cedar Falls fire chief will be interviewed by city officials and meet with staff next week.
- Man cited after crashing into waste water treatment lagoon 7 Dec 2016, 3:06 pm
ST. LUCAS – A Hawkeye man was been ticketed after he allegedly drove into the freezing waters of a waste water lagoon early Wednesday.
- Officials urge space heater caution following fire 7 Dec 2016, 3:00 pm
WATERLOO – With winter temperatures on the way, fire officials are asking residents to exercise caution when using portable space heaters.
- Trump chooses Branstad as top China diplomat 7 Dec 2016, 2:45 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – Gov. Terry Branstad has agreed to serve as U.S. ambassador to China under President-elect Donald Trump.
- Fire damages furnace at Viking Pump 7 Dec 2016, 12:00 pm
CEDAR FALLS – A morning fire damaged a furnace at Viking Pump’s Alloys Foundry on Wednesday, according to firefighters.
- Good morning - here's what's going on today 7 Dec 2016, 6:45 am
Good morning, Cedar Valley! It's Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016.
- UPDATE: Reports: Trump offers Branstad China job 7 Dec 2016, 5:30 am
President-elect Donald Trump offered the post of U.S. ambassador to China to Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, a longtime friend of Chinese President Xi Jinping, according to three people close to the matter.
- Local Pearl Harbor survivors, victims memorialized 7 Dec 2016, 4:45 am
WATERLOO -- Now they belong to the ages.
- Firefighter convention returns to Waverly in 2018 7 Dec 2016, 2:30 am
WAVERLY — Waverly will host the Iowa Firefighters Association’s annual convention again in 2018 after hosting the event earlier this year.
- Hogg calls on Democrats to stay engaged, spread positive vision 7 Dec 2016, 1:30 am
CEDAR RAPIDS – Senate Minority Leader-elect Rob Hogg is telling Democrats they will have to play defense now that Republicans control the governor’s office as well as both chambers of the Iowa Legislature.
- Black Hawk County Jail security bids improve 7 Dec 2016, 1:30 am
WATERLOO — Black Hawk County may have locked in better prices on its second attempt to replace an aging jail security system.
- Indianapolis program helps ex-cons find work 7 Dec 2016, 1:15 am
WATERLOO — The city is looking to Indianapolis for ideas to help people returning from prison find jobs.
- Kaufmann hopes for another term to build on state GOP success 7 Dec 2016, 1:00 am
DES MOINES — Jeff Kaufmann says he originally planned to lead the Republican Party of Iowa just long enough to repair its fiscal woes.
- Metro Briefs 7 Dec 2016, 12:30 am
- Community Briefs 7 Dec 2016, 12:15 am
Church’s annuallive nativity set
- Millennials set forum for Iowa Democratic chair candidates 6 Dec 2016, 8:00 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS -- At least six Democrats seeking to lead their state party will participate in a forum Dec. 16, a day before the Iowa Democratic Party’s governing body will begin its selection of a new chair.
- New Senate GOP majority eliminates one committee 6 Dec 2016, 6:30 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – It will be another month before the 2017 legislative session convenes, but the disagreements already have started.
- Authorities: 3 missing teens found dead in wreckage 6 Dec 2016, 6:26 pm
OSCEOLA (AP) — Authorities in southern Iowa say that three missing teens have been found dead in rural Clarke County.
- Fire destroys downtown Gladbrook building 6 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm
GLADBROOK — A day after the fire, smoke still smoldered in the rubble of a former storefront in downtown Gladbrook.
- Teachers report success in leadership program, but student achievement dips 6 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm
DES MOINES — Teachers in Iowa schools that participate in the state’s teacher mentoring program report better resources for helping teachers, more effective leadership and more collaboration, according to a report issued Tuesday.
- Waterloo clearing eyesores for demolition 6 Dec 2016, 8:15 am
WATERLOO — The city is gearing up to raze a large number of blighted houses next year.
- Let there be more light on Cedar Falls roundabouts, officials say 6 Dec 2016, 3:45 am
CEDAR FALLS — With daylight waning, the city is trying to make sure motorists aren’t driving in the dark along the new University Avenue roundabouts.
- Branstad confirms meeting with Trump 6 Dec 2016, 1:00 am
DES MOINES — Gov. Terry Branstad confirmed he will meet this week with President-elect Donald Trump amid speculation Trump will ask Branstad to serve as the U.S. ambassador to China.
- Iowa insurance commissioner resigns 6 Dec 2016, 1:00 am
Iowa Insurance Commissioner Nick Gerhart announced Monday he plans to step down from his current post effective Dec. 23. Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds applauded Gerhart’s work upon learning of his resignation, and Branstad announced. […]
- State Board certifies Iowa election results 5 Dec 2016, 1:45 pm
DES MOINES — More than 72 percent of registered voters in Iowa participated in this year’s general election.
- Multi-story building planned at RiverLoop Amphitheater 4 Dec 2016, 5:15 am
WATERLOO — A local developer is stepping up to build a long-planned retail and housing project near the downtown RiverLoop Amphitheater.
- Primo prepared to impress 4 Dec 2016, 3:15 am
CEDAR FALLS — Tony Tomlyanovich, owner of Tony’s La Pizzeria and Cafe Due, wants his new Main Street restaurant, Primo, to be a casual, yet upscale, fine dining experience unlike any in the Cedar Valley — or in the state.
- Business Briefs 4 Dec 2016, 2:30 am
- Woman goes on ‘Costco odyssey’ across the U.S. 4 Dec 2016, 1:15 am
NAPA, Calif. — Barbara Pope of Napa likes Costco. Really, really likes Costco.
- Bankruptcy filings 4 Dec 2016, 12:45 am
The following have filed bankruptcy petitions in the United States Bankruptcy Court in Cedar Rapids:
- Business leaders want tax reform, certainty 1 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm
DES MOINES – Business leaders in Iowa’s largest cities expressed hope Thursday the new Legislature will simplify the state’s complicated tax system and establish a statewide minimum wage to halt the patch-work of local rates higher than the cur. […]
- Cedar Falls downtown honored 1 Dec 2016, 2:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — The Iowa Economic Development Authority has awarded the Cedar Falls Downtown District with a Main Street Iowa Challenge Grant of $75,000 for a new downtown project.
- Iowa ag department seeks half million dollars to prepare for animal disease outbreak 28 Nov 2016, 4:22 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS – On the heels of an avian influenza outbreak that resulted in the death of 34 million birds on 77 Iowa farms the Iowa Department of Agriculture is seeking an additional half-million dollars to be prepared to respond…
- Waterloo TIF burdens high despite tax release 27 Nov 2016, 7:15 am
WATERLOO — The city isn’t ready to put one of its sharpest economic development tools back in the shed.
- The Next Generation in philanthropy 27 Nov 2016, 3:00 am
CEDAR FALLS — The typical job interview for a position at Next Generation Wireless comes with a somewhat atypical question — How do you get involved in your community?
- Business Briefs 27 Nov 2016, 2:30 am